During the 28 years we have been operating we have grown from a playgroup running 6 hours a week to a nursery which is open 7 1/2 hours per day. We aim to continue developing and growing so we can meet the needs of the community and provide good quality childcare and nursery education.
We are Ofsted registered please click the link below to read our ofsted reports
We work closely with Bradford Early Years Education Department and use the same resources as school nurseries.
When do you run and how much does it cost? We are open Monday to Friday during term times (38 weeks a year) 8.30am-4.00pm our session times and fees are (current as of Sept 2015):
|Lunch||Noon-1.00pm(parent provides packed lunch)||£2.00|
Fees are paid half termly or weekly and should be paid in advance. Some parents may be entitled to a % of their child care costs paid for by Working families Tax Credits or by vouchers from their place of work please speak to your employer or contact HM Revenue and Customs for further details.
3+ year olds are entitled to 15 hours FREE per week as are many 2 year olds.
These hours can be taken mornings afternoons or a mixture of both
Please ask for more details
Who is it for
Pre-School Nursery can take up to 25 children per session aged 2 years and over. We have children who attend a couple of core sessions a week, children who attend 5 core sessions a week (for free as part of their nursery education) and children who attend full time while their parents work or study. Should you feel you or your child has extra needs please contact us and we will endeavour to meet them.
Staying with us until reception class.
Many of our children stay at St Johns until they leave for reception class. While it is obviously your choice how long your child stays with us, we would like you to consider the following points.
- Our Ratio of staff is higher than school nurseries.
- We have good early years qualifications.
- Our staff choose to specialise in early years care and education.
- Your choice of sessions is wider and more flexible at St Johns.
- Your child will be settled with us and know our routine. (If they move nurseries, they have to become accustomed to new settings and routines before they begin to learn again)
- Your child’s key person and other staff will know and understand him/her. (In a new setting staff have to learn about the children their likes, dislikes etc. before the can effectively work with them.)
- Your child is in the oldest group of children here. (This helps to build their confidence.)
Applying for School
If you choose to stay with us Bradford education will send us the relevant forms and information for us to pass on to you, when it’s time to apply for primary School.
If you’d like any more information on any of the above points, or have any other concerns please speak to a member of staff.
Who will look after my child?
Catherine is the Under Fives Leader and is responsible for nursery. She has over 26 years’ experience as a Nursery Nurse, has a NNEB, a NVQ level 4 in Child Development and a NVQ & BTEC level 5 in Management
In nursery we have 6 members of staff who hold child care qualifications
Everyone who works in nursery has a DBS check and the 6 members of staff hold current 1st aid certificates and all make use of Bradford Early Years training courses throughout the year.
We use a key person system which means every child is allocated a qualified member of staff who observes records and plans activities to encourage each individual child’s development.
We always ensure we follow the governments requirements when checking the child to adult ratio this usually means that there are at least 4 members of staff in the nursery with your child
What happens at Nursery?
We follow all the government’s current set and suggested curriculum. We have a large selection of indoor and outdoor toys and equipment and provide a range of activities each day. We have 2 vegetarian snack times per day and are happy to accommodate children who are still in nappies and children who may need a nap.
Most importantly our staff are committed to working with Pre-School children in a happy and loving environment
Our Pre-School Nursery is a very busy place and we would need a lot more space to tell you everything that happens. We would prefer if you came for a visit to have a look for yourselves no appointments are necessary just call in between 9.30 and 3.30
How do I register?
Come along and look around. If you feel you like us complete an application form and hand it in. It may be that we have a place available or you may need to join a waiting list. You are welcome to apply before you require a place.
What parents think of us
- “I think it’s great that you are flexible with accommodating mixed sessions (some am & some pm)”
- “A friendly & hard working team who support the child & are always ready to co-operate, a fantastic team”
- “Thank-you to everybody at St Johns for doing such a fantastic job in running a well organised Nursery. Your hard work and commitment is testament to the excellent reputation you hold. I’m sorry that *** has to leave to start school in September. I will recommend the nursery to everybody”
What children think of us
- “I like running about and playing with my friends”
- “I like nursery because there are lots of toys”
- “Well I like the see saw’s and the slide”
What Ofsted think of us
- The pre-school is very welcoming and staff have warm and caring relationships with the children. Consequently, children are happy and feel safe. Staff know children well and the quality of their teaching promotes learning within all activities. As a result, children make good progress.
- Children play and learn in a safe and secure environment. They are safeguarded well because all staff have attended training and are fully aware of their responsibilities to protect them from harm.
- Partnership working with parents and other early years settings is good. This ensures a collaborative approach to children’s care and learning.
- The staff team are reflective and enthusiastic about their work. Consequently, they identify strengths and areas for improvements, enabling them to make continuous improvements which benefit the children over time.
We look forward to offering you and your child a warm welcome at Nursery and hope that you continue to visit us throughout your child’s Pre-School years.